Now that Calgary is in full-cleanup mode following the flood of a century we would like to offer support in providing information on ways to keep your family healthy post-flood.
Issues of concern specifically are mosquitos and mold.
We all know the mosquitos were bad to begin with early this season, and now with excessive water levels and water damage those squiters are going to be large and in charge.
Here are a couple natural ways to fend off those pesky biters.
- Essential Oils – Citronella, lemon, sandalwood, apply to either clothing and/or skin in diluted liquid form, or burn a citronella, lemon or sandalwood candle near where you are sitting.
- Vitamin B – Patches and supplementation
Vitamin B metabolizes the body which reduces human odors. It’s the way we smell that attracts insects so when we reduce our human odor with Vitamin B and essential oils the mosquitos stay at bay.
Patches can be purchased (we have them at Docere Wellness Centre for $10.95). You simply apply them directly to your skin an hour or two before going outside and you can leave it on all day. Not only will you keep bugs away you will benefit from more vitamin B in your body.
If the mosquito gets the best of you there are a number of natural ways to treat the bite, here are five we like:
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar – apply a small amount to bite
- Aloe Vera – a very cool and soothing remedy. Helps ease the itch and heal the bite
- Essential Oils – tea tree oil, rosemary, neem, lavender, witch hazel or cedar oil –dilute a small amount with water and dab on bite
- Salt Paste – mix himilayan rock salt with water and mix into a paste. Apply to affected area
- Lemon Juice – helps to calm the itch and prevent infection
Now let’s talk about MOLD! Ick!
It’s green, or black, and fuzzy, and it’s no one’s friend. Especially if you are allergic to it!
With water damage in many homes it’s likely mold will develop until restoration can be underway.
In the meantime there are naturally remedies for allergy support with mold.
There are homeopathic treatments available for mold allergies as well at acupressure and acupuncture allergy elimination techniques. NAET is one technique Dr. Meghji practices at Docere Wellness Centre.
Up your Vitamin D dosage. Spend time outside in the sun. Vitamin D has been found to reduce the production of protein response in the body to mold as well as increase production of proteins that promote tolerance to it.
Here at Docere Wellness Centre we send our best wishes to those whose homes and lives have been affected by the flood.